Upon further consideration of my last post, I'd like to clarify something:
I don't really understand anything yet.
The world is simple and complicated, and I'm not convinced that any of it can be understood in a completely 'True' way.
The latest dilemma I've come across is a question of faith and conflicting worldviews.
If you are a theist, and you believe that the world is an open system that is acted upon by an outside force, then it is perfectly consistent to believe in a God who drives (or perhaps I'd rather say 'influences' and sustains) cause and effect in the world. It is perfectly consistent to attribute spirituality and seemingly impossible physical events to God.
However, If you are a naturalist, and you believe the physical world to be a closed system, then any experience that may seem unexplainable or spiritual in nature can always be explained by natural processes (if not now then in the future).
Therefore, the question ultimately becomes 'what worldview/set of assumptions seems more correct?' Where do you place your faith? For now I'll leave this question open-ended, as I really don't have a clear answer straightened out.
~ ~ ~
Do we need religion to answer the "why?" question of life? That is the first question I need answered. I lay awake last night 'till around 3 thinking about the answer to that question.
Truthfully, I think the answer is 'no'. Generally speaking, I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that religion does not give us a reason for our existence, or an explanation of why man exists. Or, at least, that is not its purpose. True religion does not serve us/our desires, it serves that which is beyond us. What it gives us is joy in the recognition of Beauty in the world.
I say this because there is no real explanation for why Beauty (capital B) exists. It exists for its own sake.
What is it that gives us "meaning" in our life? And what is "meaning" altogether?
I think thats all for now, but i'll be sure to keep on writing, and thinking about these things. Your suggestions & support are greatly appreciated. Please pray for me and my developing understanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment