February 15, 2005

"Ha! You're gonna burn!!!"... Someone restrain me,

So we were listening to the radio this morning, to a Christian station I must add, and this horrible commercial came on. It was a "Christian" commercial and it was addressing parents with teenagers. It flat out said this: "if your teenager is dressing like a goth or is dying their hair black or other unnatural colors then they are in a cult." I'm sorry I just can't agree with that statement at all. It's completely ridiculous. It is narrow-minded and judgemental. Worse, I think it gives me a bad name as a Christian. Are we just supposed to walk around and avoid people who express themselves this way?? Um, no! I'm not better than anyone and i'm not going to judge them because of their appearance. I know plenty of Christians who dress this way. Many of them live on my floor. Are they in a cult? No. My advice to the people who made this commercial:

Stop living in your little Christian bubble and judging the rest of the world. That has never been your place, and it never will be. There are Christians out there who are actually trying to make a positive impact in this world, and we don't appreciate the reputation you're giving us. There is nothing wrong with dressing this way, and it is an improper correlation to automatically assume someone with these fashion tastes is a cult member. The 2 things are seperate. Get it right.

Sorry, this is the kind of thing that makes me mad. I'm sick of having a reputation that says Christians are snobby judgemenal people who live on their own little island, and this is a perfect example of why we have this reputation. Come on people, can we please just love other people and stop making judgements on them? I'm sorry for being harsh, i'm not trying to say that i'm better than other Christians, i'm just frustrated that this action is hindering me from doing what I want to do in the world. We're all hipocrites in some way.

My floor is arranging a picket of this commercial in front of the station. hehehe. Maybe we'll make the news. This is a message we need to make very clear to the public, or it's never gonna change.

No comments: